Being a parent can be tough. Home-Start does not have a magic formula to take all the problems away, but parents tell us that having a friend to confide in, cry and laugh with or talk to, can make all the difference…
Could YOU help us make that difference? Volunteers are central to the work of Home-Start. They provide invaluable friendship, emotional and practical support to parents in need. By visiting families in their own homes, Home-Start volunteers are a lifeline for many families who are finding it hard to cope.
YOU could have exactly the skills to make a difference to a Southwark family.
VOLUNTEERING FOR HOME-START: CORE FAMILY SUPPORT
What would I gain from being a Home-Start volunteer?
- You will receive lots of support and free training to prepare you for all aspects of your role with Home-Start.
- You will develop new skills and gain vast experience of working with families.
- You will be doing something worthwhile, helping a family to cope with the pressures they are facing.
- You will be part of a friendly and caring organisation.
How would I be helping families?
By visiting a family on a regular basis and offering them friendship you would be:
- Encouraging parents’ own strength, emotional well-being and helping them to maintain dignity and identity.
- Reassuring parents about the difficulties they are experiencing.
- Providing a safe, non-threatening environment for parents to express their fears and frustrations.
- Enabling the family to overcome isolation.
- All this contributes to the prevention of family breakdown and the healthy emotional and physical development of children.
BUMP TO BABE FAMILY SUPPORT
Bump to Babe is Home-Start Southwark’s intervention project working with families from the last trimester of their pregnancies to six months after birth. The Bump to Babe project offers families a greater level of support from volunteers and give them the opportunity to access our Mellow Babies parenting programme.
To become a Bump to Babe volunteer you will need to complete the volunteer preparation course and then complete one half day Bump to Babe training.
What will you be helping the family with
- Emotional support – Reassurance, encouragement, empathy, and advice through difficult times.
- Building confidence in parenting skills – Praise, help to restore self-esteem and empowerment.
- Support to get ready for a new baby by attend appointments, groups and organising support network.
- Practical Support – an extra pairs of hands to help cope with everyday day situations and multiple children.
- Support to interact with the baby through playing, reading and doing fun activities with babies.
- Accessing services and information – including support groups, Children’s Centres, housing and financial support.
HOW TO APPLY
To become a volunteer please complete a volunteer application form and return it to us. Once we receive your application, one of our co-ordinators will contact you to arrange an informal interview and inform you about the next volunteers prep course.
Download an Application Form | Upcoming Training Dates
If you wish to receive a pack in the post please contact us on 020 7737 7720.
Please return your application by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
or by post to: Home-Start Southwark
Albrighton Community Centre, 37 Albrighton Road, London SE22 8AH
For more information or if you have a questions please contact us on
020 7737 7720 | email@example.com
t: 020 7737 7720 |
Registered Office: Home-Start Southwark
Albrighton Community Centre
37 Albrighton Road, London SE22 8AH
Copyright © Homestart Southwark 2017. All rights reserved.
Charity No: 1107413, Company No: 5239322